This post may contain affiliate links. This does not change the price for you. :-) Whew. When do you know it's time to up your homeschool organization game? I've got 10 clear signs to share with you that will leave you with little doubt.
If you stick with me through all 10 signs, I've got an easy solution for you. Because, what would be the point of showing you all 10 signs and not giving you a way out of this mess?! There wouldn't be any.
It'd just make you sink into a pit of despair to wallow in for months and months only to come out smelling of old rotting soccer socks and a few more un-plucked whiskers on your chin.
10. You're using books as your homeschool furniture
If you're using stacks of books in place of chairs, boxes of books for your desks, then it's safe to say you have a problem.
It may be time to re-think the storage of your books, or even *shudder* get rid of some.
9. You can't find the dustpan under all those cereal crumbs
If chore time is haphazard, frantic, ineffective, and the last thing you and your kids are able to get done. It just seems easier some days to shove the paper confetti your 3-year-old made out of her craft under the couch than it is to vacuum it up.
It may be time to re-do your chore systems and how you handle your day to day upkeep.
8. Your library fines are larger than your student loans
If you just found a library book that you checked out 4 months ago and are saving up each month to pay off your current library fine. If you spend all day at the library because you can't check any books out due to your overdue fine, you're going to want to establish something, anything, to save your wallet.
7. You had craft paper in your dinner last night
If there's a landfill's worth of paper on your kitchen table and no place to set your plate during dinner, then it's about time you sent half your paperwork to the burn pile, and organize the rest.
6. You accidentally threw away your child's work for this year's homeschool portfolio
If you did this... then holy crow, I'll cry with you. If your state requires a portfolio to be turned in and evaluated each year and you threw it all away by accident...
It's time to move! ;-)
5. You are considering animal sacrifice to meet this year's homeschooling goals
If your goals for each child just seem like distant dreams, if it looks like you'll never get your child to read, subtract, write his name legibly, or even flush the toilet, we're in the same boat.
You may need to re-evaluate your homeschool goals and the way you approach completing them. Or... maybe you need to set them in the first place. Whoops.
4. Your walk across the schoolroom floor always leaves a counting bear embedded in your foot
If you loathe counting bears, all types of manipulatives, and especially Lego because of all the foot injuries you've encountered over the last year, it may be time to throw them all away.
It is time to sort them, store them, and regulate their usage in an easier manner.
3. You do school outside, not because you want to, but because there's no place to sit
If you've got a giant salt dough map on the table, a dioramas sitting on the chairs, laundry and library books on the couch, last week's projects and papers on the floor, and you're currently sprawled out on a picnic blanket on the muddy ground in your backyard... you know it's time.
Time to shove all that stuff under a match.
2. You bought the same homeschool curriculum 3 times
If you just unearthed the science curriculum that seems really familiar and then your daughter runs up to ask you a question holding the same workbook, and then... ding dong the UPS guy shows up delivering you a box of... that same science curriculum your bank account may be hurting.
You may need to do an inventory of what you have and what you need. And then... get some help on your memory loss problems.
1. You are stressed, overwhelmed, overworked, lost, burnt out, and your husband (and you) are fed up
If you're just. done. with the stress and overwhelm, but aren't sure what's wrong or what to do, and you want to give up, but you really don't want to give up, it's time for you to get some help, guidance, and support.
It's way past time for you to get your homeschool organization under control
Now, I don't want you to feel bad.
I am not telling you all this as an anal-retentive organized cyborg. I am telling you this as a fellow disorganized person.
Hence the need to poke fun at myself (and you) with the exaggerated list. Well, the library fine one is pretty accurate.
If you're anything like me you want change, results, and you want it to be easy and as painless as possible.
Let me tell you WHY it's the solution I need and then let you decide.
- I love Melanie Wilson. She's like totes amaze, or whatever the cool kids are saying these days. For real though, she's the real deal, genuine, and has been there (she wasn't born an organized robot, she worked at it -- minus the robot bit).
- It's broken up into months, then weeks, and then tasks to spread out each week.
- Each task is manageable, straightforward, and relevant.
- Each week has a theme, or area to concentrate on.
- Melanie encourages you to start where you need to and want to and to never feel a slave to the book. You'll never be behind.
- There's an awesome calendar, a month-at-a-glance printable, for you to keep close by so you never forget what's next.
- It's not just your actual homeschool room that's covered, but your entire homeschool life, which is really life. Your chores, schedule, marriage, goals, computer, curriculum, and more.
- The ideas, tips, and tricks in the book are fantastic! They are the best organization ideas in one book, with easy and simple directions to get you through each task. I think I said that already.
- Melanie has created extra freebies to help you even more than what's included in the book.
- It is working for me!
I just did a major overhaul of our homeschool room. We literally weren't even using it. We were downstairs, on the couch, floor, and kitchen table.
There's nothing wrong with that, it's just things were getting lost, crumpled, and our focus wasn't the best. Especially MY focus.
Now the room has turned into sweet sweet heavenly bliss. At least, for me. The kids are super excited to start using it this way, and I have dreams of peaceful homeschool days ahead. Well, organized homeschool days ahead. I gotta be realistic.
I would definitely encourage you to buy this book and see how it helps you get your homeschool organization under control and your life as well.
gif via reactiongifs.com